Monday, August 9, 2010

The Diagnosis

     September 16,2002.-otherwise known in our house as D-Day- is a date I won‘t ever forget..  A routine visit to the doctor turned into a day that changed our lives forever. I picked up my 9 year old daughter Kelsey from school early that day. We  headed to our pediatrician’s office to get a physical. Kelsey wanted to join a local cheer leading squad and a physical form was necessary in order for her to join. As we waited for the doctor to see us, all I could think about was all I had to do when I got home. My plan was to get to the grocery store before the mad rush at  five , get home to make a quick dinner, and get started on my lesson plans. The school year was just getting underway for me and I had a lot to do before work the next day.
 Finally they called our name and the nurse led us back to the examination room. As almost an afterthought, she handed Kelsey a cup and asked her to give a urine specimen before heading to the exam room. Once in the exam room, everything went pretty smoothly. Dr. Murphy listened to her vital signs asked her the routine safety questions, and we were ready to go on our way. Yes! I would make it to the grocery store before rush hour. Then the nurse came in with a piece of paper with the urine test results on them. I could see a number that was highlighted boldly in yellow. When she handed the paper to Dr. Murphy she tapped the highlighted number and motioned for him to leave the room . I knew something was wrong  but couldn’t for the life of me predict what was to come next.
     When the muffled conversation between the two stopped outside of the door ,Dr. Murphy returned with a slightly more serious demeanor. He explained that Kelsey’s glucose level in her urine was more than 3xs it’s normal level. He believed she had diabetes and wanted me to take her immediately to the emergency room where they would run more tests on her and give her the fluids she needed. I don’t really remember much more of that conversation.  Dr. Murphy was  explaining normal glucose levels to me and all I could do was try to wrap my head around what Kelsey having diabetes really meant. I had to explain it to her and I wasn’t sure what to tell her.
  We waited  for Dr. Murphy to call the children's hospital to let them know we were coming. Kelsey sat on my lap and cried. All she knew was that diabetes meant  getting shots everyday -like her Aunt Donna-and the thought of that terrified her, I reassured her that it would be alright but inside my mind was racing.
It wasn’t the first time I’ve encountered someone with diabetes. My husband’s sister has been diabetes since she was 6 years old and I had a student in my Math class who was diagnosed the time that I taught her . The school nurse reassured me that as long as she had juice or a pack of crackers nearby she’d be fine. I can’t believe I thought it was that simple. If they are feeling shaky give them some juice or crackers and when they eat give them some insulin . Sounds easy to me.
   You know I’d like to think of myself as a fairly educated person,but when it came to diabetes I obviously had a lot to learn- and I was about to get a crash course on it.
Even on the way to the children’s hospital I think I was in denial. This won’t be so bad. Aunt Donna does it. Maybe when we get to the hospital they’ll see that Dr, Murphy was wrong. I’m sure something else can cause a 365 blood glucose level.
     On the way to the hospital I called my husband at work to break the news. I could hear the emotion in his voice when he told me he’d meet me at the hospital. Michael was not in denial. He knew what to expect. He grew up watching his older sister get injections,experience lows, and miss out on sweets and candies. His sister was diagnosed in the late sixties. This was before glucometers,pumps, and insulin pens. He remembers his mother boiling the reusable needles and the only way for his sister to check her blood sugar was through urine tests. I’m sure this news brought back a flood of emotions and memories.
Michael picked up our oldest daughter Mollie and met us at the hospital. Kelsey was given an IV and had blood drawn Both procedures were difficult for the nurses because Kelsey was so dehydrated.To this day Kelsey most traumatic memory of that day was the IV and getting blood drawn. 
     The blood was sent to the lab and we waited  for what seemed like an eternity to get the results that deep in our hearts we  really already knew.While we were waiting the nurse asked me if Kelsey showed any of the usual warning signs of diabetes-excessive thirst,frequent urination, and weight loss. Looking back she was thirsty all of the time. I attributed that to her being as active child running around in the summer heat. The frequent urination was of course due to all of her drinking from the hot weather, and the weight loss was  due to a growth spurt. How could I not have noticed those glaring symptoms? What was wrong with me. I felt  extremely inadequate and that I somehow let Kelsey down.
 The results came back from the lab. The official diagnosis was Type 1 Juvenile Diabetes Mellittus. Kelsey’s life ,our lives would be forever changed.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kelsey,Carissa, and Danielle

Kelsey,Carissa, and Danielle
SFWR Rock Wall

Carissa on the zip line

Carissa on the zip line

Kelsey and Danielle

Kelsey and Danielle
JR. Ambassadors for JDRF

Dance For Diabetes

Dance For Diabetes

The Mighty McGills

The Mighty McGills